Houghton-le-Spring model was raped and left for dead in Magaluf

A BRITISH model was raped, stabbed in the throat and left for dead in a brutal random attack at a Spanish holiday resort, a court heard.

Cheryl Maddison and Mohamed A, who is accused of raping and attempting to murder her

A BRITISH model was raped, stabbed in the throat and left for dead in a brutal random attack at a Spanish holiday resort, a court heard.

Moroccan waiter Mohamed Fadel el Anssari, 31, knifed Cheryl Maddison from Houghton-le-Spring near Sunderland, repeatedly with a seven-inch blade after sexually assaulting her, it was said.

Cocaine addict Fadel tried to kill his terrified victim in the frenzied attack after raping her in her rented flat, prosecutor Jaime Guasp told the court.

Cheryl, aged 21 at the time, survived by playing dead, holding her breath and lying still despite her horrific injuries.

When her attacker fled she crawled naked out of her flat and collapsed in a pool of blood outside a nearby kebab shop.

Cheryl, who has waved her right to anonymity, told the court she was attacked as she returned home alone after a shift working in a bar in Magaluf, Majorca.

The assault happened at 4am on May 30 2008, just six days after she arrived on the island and the day after she moved into the flat.

She said: “He followed me up the stairs to my apartment. He punched me in the face and dragged me inside by the hair.

“He said ‘Shhh… or I kill you’.

“He dragged me through the apartment to the balcony. He took his trousers down. I was crying. I was in shock and I had blood on my face.”

Fadel sexually assaulted her then dragged her to the bathroom where he stripped her naked and forced her to shower before ordering her into the bedroom.

She told the Provincial Court in Majorca’s capital Palma: “That’s where he climbed on top of me and raped me. He was pulling my hair and he put his hands on my neck and pressed hard.

“I bit him and scratched him but then I passed out, I lost consciousness.

“When I woke up I was by myself in the bedroom. I was confused and crying but I had forgotten what had happened.

“That’s when he entered the room again. He put a knife into my neck.”

After fleeing to a nearby kebab shop Cheryl collapsed unconscious and was rushed to hospital by ambulance. She underwent emergency surgery to stab wounds to her neck, throat, chest and back on the island before being allowed to return home to Murton, County Durham.

The case was archived by police after they failed to find an attacker but it was reopened when a second British woman suffered a similar horrific attack in Magaluf in 2010.

Fadel was arrested on July 29, 2011 after detectives following him recovered a cigarette butt he threw away and had it tested for DNA.

It matched samples taken from the scene of Cheryl’s attack, the court heard.

Fadel, who appeared in court in handcuffs wearing a white hooded top, blue jeans and trainers, denies attempted murder and rape.

He told the court he had been addicted to cocaine since 2004 and occasionally took ecstasy but refused to answer further questions.

Prosecutors want him jailed for 23 years.

The trial, in front of a panel of three judges with no jury, continues.



David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer