Family tell of their fear after shooting

THE family of a businessman shot in exclusive Darras Hall told last night of their anguish as they continue their vigil at his bedside.

THE family of a businessman shot in exclusive Darras Hall told last night of their anguish as they continue their vigil at his bedside.

The scene of the shooting on Darras Hall Estate

Amjed Malik was targeted by masked attackers while he visited a close friend in the neighbourhood in Ponteland, Northumberland.

Releasing the first picture of the 31-year-old, his family said last night they are now living in fear.

Mr Malik remains under close guard at Newcastle’s General Hospital where he is due to undergo further operations on the section of his hit by a double-barrelled shotgun.

Family members have been allowed in to visit him and his mother has kept a constant vigil at his bedside while he recovers.

Doctors have been unable to say when married Mr Malik will be discharged.

His loved ones believe even when the accident claims business owner is allowed out he will struggle to feel safe after falling victim to the attack.

A family member, who asked not to be named said: “Our whole family is so frightened after what happened. The whole situation has been so difficult for us. We’ve never experienced anything like this before.

“Amjed’s mother hasn’t left his bedside since it happened. She has been scared for him. The idea of guns being used on your family is barbaric. We are religious and we don’t believe in violence like this.

“Amjed is improving but he’s still not talking much. His leg is going to be OK, but he still has to have more operations. He’s very shocked, and of course frightened for his life.

“I feel bad for the community. No-one wants this to be happening where they live. I see people walking around in twos and threes because they don’t feel safe. That’s not right.

“Our whole family just wants everything sorting out. Even when Amjed gets out of hospital I don’t know how he’s going to feel safe.”

The concerns from Mr Malik’s family come after a second man was arrested on Wednesday in connection to the shooting.

The 31-year-old was taken into custody by officers and held on suspicion of conspiracy to commit assault.

A 33-year-old man, arrested on Tuesday for the same offence, has been bailed pending further enquiries.

It is understood a number of members of the Asian community in Newcastle’s West End have been helping with enquiries. Police have said they are unable to release further details as the investigation is ongoing.

Mr Malik was targeted when two masked raiders stormed into the kitchen of a property on Middle Drive, Darras Hall, where he was visiting a friend.

A woman in the property with the victim described the scene as “terrifying”.

Following the gun attack Det Chief Insp Paul Young said: “I understand this incident has caused concern to people living in the area and I would like to reassure them we are working hard to identify those responsible.

“Initial inquiries indicate this incident was directed at the victim or people close to him and as such we do not believe there is any risk to the wider community. The injured man runs a business in the west end of Newcastle and we are working closely with members of the community as part of this investigation.”

Anyone with any information about the attack on Mr Malik should ring police on 03456 043 043.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer