Dipton thug jailed for bragging on Facebook

FAKING his remorse, teenage thug Jack Wilson thought he was above the law.

Jack Wilson

FAKING his remorse, teenage thug Jack Wilson thought he was above the law.

The 18-year-old appeared to be full of regret when he went to court and admitted unprovoked attacks on two strangers in Newcastle City Centre.

But that night he went home and boasted on Facebook: “No remorse, no surrender, 100 per cent re-offender”.

And after hearing about his bragging, a Judge at Newcastle Crown Court sent the teenager to jail telling him he was “asking to go to prison”. At court yesterday Judge Roger Thorn was shown a print-out of the posts Wilson had written on his page on the social networking site.

The teenager bragged on his profile as he proudly stated “laid two gadgies out” and commented “I hate the law”.

The judge said: “If anyone ever asked to go to prison, this is the best way to do it. All claims of remorse evaporate as hypocrisy. The number of people who ruin their lives by what they write on Facebook, of which these courts see many, is amazing.”

Wilson, of Sunset View, Dipton, Durham, was sentenced to 20 months in a young offenders’ institute and was told: “Had there been any degree of remorse here it might just have been possible to suspend the sentence but I can’t because having come to court and pleaded guilty there are these terrible messages you posted on Facebook.”

The court heard Wilson had lashed out at his victims, Kevin Nixon, 43, and Trevor Harrison, 50, who were strangers to him, as he walked past them in Newcastle city centre in the early hours of the morning.

Mr Nixon and Mr Harrison had simply been heading to get a taxi home after a night out. Prosecutor Michael Bunch told the court Mr Nixon was attacked first.

He said; “He felt someone punch him to the left side of the face.”

When Mr Harrison asked why his friend had been attacked Wilson turned on him too. Mr Bunch added: “He punched him once then kicked him, causing him to fall to the floor.”

Mr Nixon suffered a cut above his eye as well as bruising and swelling. Mr Harrison had a fractured eye socket with extensive bruising and a wound to the back of his head which needed stitching. Both incidents were captured on CCTV.

Tom Moran, defending, said Wilson, who works full time and is not heavily convicted, accepted posting the abusive comments but had been acting through bravado and acting the “big man”.

Mr Moran said: “He wanted to put up a front, it spectacularly backfired on him.”


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer