Daniel Lloyd given four-year jail term after prank horror

A YOUNG father of two is scarred for life and has had part of his left leg amputated after a horrific two- day binge-drinking and drug- fuelled party.

Ashley Robinson, Pendle Close
Ashley Robinson, Pendle Close

A YOUNG father of two is scarred for life and has had part of his left leg amputated after a horrific two- day binge-drinking and drug- fuelled party.

Last night Daniel Lloyd, 27, was beginning a four year and 126 day jail sentence for setting Ashley Robinson alight.

Mr Robinson, 28, was on crutches in Durham Crown Court yesterday to see his attacker jailed for what prosecutor Tim Gittens described as “a drunken prank which went terribly and tragically wrong.”

Mr Gittens told the court that Mr Robinson and Lloyd were part of a group who had spent a day and night drinking in Peterlee town centre before going to a house in Pendle Close in the town on September 27 last year to continue to drink and to take Ecstasy tablets.

He said the following morning Mr Robinson had fallen asleep under a table and some of the party-goers had carried him out of the house and left him lying beside a garage outside.

He said during the afternoon as Mr Robinson continued to lie comatose Lloyd went over to him and used his cigarette lighter to set fire to the lower parts of his clothing, before going back inside the house. The flames quickly spread, causing Mr Robinson to sustain third degree burns across his pelvis, legs and back.

Horrified neighbours who came across him lying in agony thought he had been badly beaten up and called an ambulance.

Mr Robinson spent three months in Newcastle’s RVI where he required several skin grafts. His left leg was amputated below the knee 10 days after he was set alight.

Mr Gittens said the attack had left a “dramatic and traumatic” impact on Mr Robinson, who was unable to work and found it difficult to see his former partner and his two daughters, aged three and five. He said there had been “no evidence of any dispute or animosity between the two parties” before the attack.

Glenn Gatland, representing Lloyd, of Rosedale Terrace, Horden, near Peterlee, said the attack came after a “two day party of binge drinking and drug taking during which the party goers had been drinking themselves stupid.

“It was a practical joke which had appalling consequences, but the defendant never had any intent to cause these injuries, he was grossly and recklessly negligent.”

Lloyd, who admitted causing grievous bodily harm at an earlier hearing, was sentenced to four years for the offence. He was additionally ordered by Judge Richard Lowden to serve a suspended sentence of 126 days imposed for an assault on his pregnant girlfriend last year.

Mr Robinson, of Cotswold Place, Peterlee, said afterwards he was “disappointed” by the sentence, adding: “Now I just want to get on with my life.”



David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer