Couple recall the moment they went to child’s rescue

Harold Storey last night relived the moment his wife Joy was handed a young child from the burning house and how he raced to get his ladder to go into the property

A MAN has told how he and his wife went to the rescue of four people trapped in a house fire on their Northumberland street.

Harold Storey last night relived the moment his wife Joy was handed a young child from the burning house and how he raced to get his ladder to go into the property before emergency services took over.

Fire crews who rescued a three-year- old boy who had stopped breathing were also praised for their “extraordinary professionalism and bravery”.

The blaze broke out in a house on Forster Avenue in Bedlington, at around 1am on Thursday.

The occupants had only moved in two weeks earlier. Two 24-year-old women had been asleep inside, along with the three-year-old boy and an older child.

One of the women, thought to be the three-year-old’s mother, leapt from a first floor window to escape the flames.

Two other occupants also escaped.

The boy was found unconscious and not breathing and rescued by firefighters.

He was resuscitated outside on the street by paramedics, where another of the occupants was also treated.

The boy and his mother were taken to hospital afterwards with serious injuries. The child’s condition was later described as stable, and the adult – according to police – was released.

Last night, Mr Storey, 57, who works for a company which sells car paint in Newcastle, told how his wife, 55, who works for St John Ambulance in Ashington, had woken him after smelling smoke and they both went to investigate.

“I discovered the fire and we assisted with getting the people out.

“They dropped the eldest child and my wife caught her.”

Mr Storey then went to get his ladder before the emergency services arrived.

“All we did was what anybody would have done in the circumstances.”

Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service has since established that the fire was accidental, although it will be the middle of next week before the exact cause is known.

Group manager Lee Buckingham last night said: “The crews did an extraordinary job, they demonstrated extraordinary professionalism and bravery.

“It was a rapid recovery, they demonstrated the highest standards for Northumberland’s fire service.”

He said crews’ actions had “played a huge part” along with other emergency services in saving the boy’s life.

“Finding him very quickly, recovering him from the hazardous area as quickly as possible has been a contributory factor.”

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer