Corbridge headteacher still suspended

Suspended Corbridge C of E First School headteacher Julie Logan will not start back at the school in September for the new term

Corbridge Church of England First School
Corbridge Church of England First School

A headteacher suspended from an ‘outstanding’ village first school will not be returning for the start of the new school term.

Julie Logan, who has been suspended from Corbridge C of E First School for nine months, has been told by governors that she is not to start back when children arrive on Tuesday, September 3.

The Journal understands Mrs Logan and her union are currently in final talks with governors and representatives from the Church of England Dioceses of Durham and Newcastle who help manage the school.

Mrs Logan, who had only been in the post since September 2011 was suspended on November 29 2012.

Speculation as to the reasons behind her abscence has been rife since, with many believing the catalyst to be a row over her wanting to maintain hot school meals while the then chair of governors, Ron Tipping, hoped to scrap them.

Mrs Logan was approached for a comment but said she was unable to discuss the case on advice of her union, however she hoped that the situation would be resolved by the end of September.

This will be the fourth term where no substantive head teacher has been in post at the school, which was graded outstanding by Ofsted in 2009.

Lynne Johnston, the headteacher of nearby Wylam First School was drafted in to cover two days a week however this arrangement has since ceased.

Class teachers Julie McGowan and Anita Dunnage both have some responsibility for management while the issue is resolved however there is no full time replacement in post.

A parent whose children previously attended the school but has since left the area, said: “It’s really nice to be away from this now and having the children at a school where there is no issues.

“There was one place to fill on the governors and an election for a new position so I don’t know if that will make a difference.”

Mrs Logan released a statement earlier this year confirming that she had been suspended by acting head of governors, Kath Abraham, on November 29, pending an independent investigation.

Around 90 parents then signed a petition demanding a public meeting and stating their lack of confidence in the current governing body.

The Church of England Dioceses of Durham and Newcastle were unable to provide an official comment by the time the Journal went to press however a spokesperson said there had been little change in the situation since the summer term and parents have been kept informed.

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer