Chris Brown inquest: I did not know Raoul Moat would kill - Samantha Stobbart

Raoul Moat's ex-girlfriend Samantha Stobbart gives evidence at the Chris Brown inquest at Newcastle Crown Court

Samantha Stobbart leaving Newcastle Crown Court
Samantha Stobbart leaving Newcastle Crown Court

The former partner of Raoul Moat has told how she would have contacted police if she thought he was going to kill.

Samantha Stobbart, who had been in an on-off relationship with Moat since she was 17, gave evidence yesterday at the inquest into the death of Moat’s victim Chris Brown, her then-boyfriend.

She told the court that she “definitely” would have taken action and contacted police if he had made threats to kill or if she had known what he was going to do.

She denied knowing Moat would have a gun and insisted she just thought he and Mr Brown would have a fight following threats that Moat wanted a “straightener” with her new boyfriend.

Moat gunned down Mr Brown, 29, and critically injured Ms Stobbart as they left a neighbour’s house in Birtley, Gateshead in the early hours of July 3, 2010. Karate instructor Mr Brown had been in a relationship with Ms Stobbart for just a few weeks.

Giving evidence at the inquest, which is in its second week at Newcastle Crown Court, Ms Stobbart said you could not predict what type of person Moat would be, but also said she would have contacted police if he had made threats to kill her or Mr Brown.

During questioning Coroner Terence Carney asked Ms Stobbart: “Despite the fact that at times he seems alright in his conversations what did you think might be the situation if and when he came?”

She said: “I did not know he would come round obviously.” Ms Stobbart added that made it hard to say what he would do if he did come round as “you could not predict what type of person he was.”

But in later questioning she admitted she never thought he would go on to do what he did.

Ms Stobbart told the inquest how Moat, who had been released from prison two days before, shot Mr Brown first. She then made her way back into her neighbour’s house as Moat fired again and told that as she looked out of the window she saw Mr Brown on his knees. Moat then shot Ms Stobbart through the window.

She told how she had been looking after eight puppies for Moat while he was in prison and had expected him or associate Karl Ness to pick them up on July 2, 2010. When they failed to do so she met Mr Brown for a drink in Gateshead.

She told coroner Terence Carney that Moat called and texted her while she was with Mr Brown, demanding to know who she was with.

Ms Stobbart also told the inquest that she and Mr Brown had planned to stay at his flat that night instead of her house as she did not want him and Moat to fight.

However they went back to Ms Stobbart’s house after her dad complained about Moat’s puppies being left in her back garden. After they returned to Birtley they had drinks at Ms Stobbart’s neighbours home for her mum’s birthday. It was when they left that Moat launched his attack. The inquest continues.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer