Capheaton burglary accused to appear in court

Five men are due in court this morning after an alleged aggravated burglary in which a man and woman were tied up in their home

Police tape at Kirkharle Courtyard where FA Designs Jewellery shop was robbed
Police tape at Kirkharle Courtyard where FA Designs Jewellery shop was robbed

Five men are due in court this morning after an alleged aggravated burglary in which a man and woman were tied up in their home.

It is claimed three men broke into the home of Alan and Audrey Harrison, in Capheaton, Northumberland, on Tuesday, June 26 last year.

It is then alleged the pair were tied up and threatened before jewellery and a car were stolen.

Police said a car was used to drive to the couple’s jewellery shop in Kirkharle Courtyard, where more jewellery was taken.

Five people will appear before Newcastle Magistrates’ Court tomorrow in relation to that burglary and a similar offence in Bishop Auckland, which is alleged to have happened on October 16. The men who conducted the first raid pretended to be police officers to get into the property.

As the victims opened the door, the masked men are said to have burst in and tied them up, stealing jewellery before making off.

Barry Nicholson, 30, of Lowther Road, Bishop Auckland, is charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit robbery, conspiracy to commit burglary and conspiracy to dispose of criminal property.

Hugh Townsley, 47, of Stoneyholme Avenue, Cheetham Hill, Manchester, is charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit robbery and conspiracy to commit burglary.

James Townsley, 21, of Nelson Street, Carlisle, is charged with conspiracy to commit robbery in Capheaton, conspiracy to commit burglary in Kirkharle Courtyard, Kirkwhelpington, and conspiracy to commit robbery in Butterknowle, Bishop Auckland. John Kay, 55, of Fernwood Road, Lemington, is charged with conspiracy to commit robbery and conspiracy to commit burglary.

John Hyslop, 48, of St John's Terrace, Morecambe will also face a charge of handling stolen goods.

A 49-year-old man previously arrested has been released with no further action.

Superintendent Mick Paterson, from Northumberland Area Command, said: “This incident caused concern in the community and was obviously extremely distressing for the victims.

“Thankfully serious incidents such as this don't happen very often in rural Northumberland, but when they do happen we do whatever it takes to trace those suspected of being involved.

“We have done that and we have now charged a number of people.

“I'd like to reassure people that an extensive investigation has been carried out and these people are now going through the court process.”

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer