The upstairs of a house in North Tyneside was badly damaged in a fire caused by unattended candles early yesterday.
The blaze at Angerton Terrace, Dudley, badly damaged the bathroom and caused smoke damage to bedrooms. It was extinguished by firefighters from Gosforth and Cramlington.
A hotel in Gateshead was evacuated yesterday after a boiler room fire. The blaze at the Elephant on Tyne, in Felling, set off the smoke alarms and guests were evacuated, but the hotel reopened later in the day.
Thousands of pounds of damage has been caused to cars in the Cumbria village of St Bees over the last two weeks. Most damage was on New Year's Eve and police appeal for witnesses to call Egremont Police Station or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
A man was taken to hospital after a fire at a house in Middlesbrough yesterday. He had first aid at the scene in Corder Road, West Lane, but his injuries are not thought to be life threatening.
A family musical extravaganza will be performed this week by staff from children's charity Barnardo's to raise money for their work. Thanks For The Memories features songs, dance, sketches and comedy covering 100 years of entertainment. The show is at the People's Theatre, Heaton, Newcastle, on January 5 and 6. Tickets (£6 adults, £4 children and seniors), from Joan Keltie at Barnardo's head office in Jesmond, tel: (0191) 240-4800.
The charity Samaritans of Tyneside has launched a `reach out' initiative to help the 60% of people who find aspects of New Year stressful, disappointing and lonely. Volunteers will be at the Bigg Market and Quayside in Newcastle to remind people of the 24-hour confidential emotional support offered by the charity. Samaritans of Tyneside can be contacted on (0191) 232-7272.
Advice workers hope to double their numbers in January to tackle rising levels of debt. Washington Citizens Advice Bureau is launching a recruitment drive in a bid to increase trained volunteer advisers. Anyone interested should ring (0191) 418-6964.