Bomb suspect held after stun-gun raid

A suspected would-be suicide bomber was captured in a dramatic armed raid by police and MI5 yesterday.

A suspected would-be suicide bomber was captured in a dramatic armed raid by police and MI5 yesterday.

The man, confirmed by police last night to be Yasin Hassan Omar, a 24-year-old Somalian, was felled with a Taser stun gun when officers stormed a house in Birmingham.

About 100 homes were then evacuated as the bomb squad moved in. One report suggested he had a rucksack with him which was thrown clear through a window by an officer.

Omar, said to have tried but failed to blow up a Tube train near London's Warren Street, is the first of the July 21 suicide-squad suspects to be caught.

Peter Clarke, head of the Met's Anti-Terrorist Branch, confirmed that the man arrested was Omar.

As he was rushed to Paddington Green high-security police station in London, it emerged the group responsible for the July 7 attacks - which killed 52 people on the London transport network - had access to more bombs. The revelation sparked fears more suicide attacks were planned.

Unnamed sources told the US network ABC News 16 bombs had been found in a car believed to have been rented by suicide bomber Shehzad Tanweer, who blew himself up on a train at Aldgate on July 7. The car was found five days later at Luton railway station, where Tanweer and his fellow bombers had boarded a train to London.

Omar was found at a maisonette in Heybarnes Road, Birmingham, which had been under surveillance before the raid. Neighbour Andy Wilkinson, an electrician, said he saw him being led out in a white forensic suit with his hands bound with plastic ties.

Mr Wilkinson, 41, said: "It was about 5.10am and all we could hear was a right racket - people trying to break a door down. I looked out of the window and the road was full of armed police and they had got the road closed off. After 10 or 15 minutes, they brought a guy out. He looked like one of the men in the photos of the four suspects released by the police."

Mr Wilkinson said the property had been rented a long time. He said: "They come and go and they are not there all the time. You don't see them for three days at a time."

Soon after the arrest, three men were held in a raid two miles away in Washwood Heath. They are being held in Birmingham. Neighbours said three Somalian men had been staying in the semi.

At least three from the failed July 21 attacks are still on the run.

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer