North East pirate hunter Nick Dunn will be remanded in an Indian prison after being charged by police in India.
Officers have now lodged charges against Nick and 34 other crew members from his security ship.
If the charges are accepted by the courts the group could be held up to months or even a year in the prison before they face trial.
It is not yet clear what the men have been charged with but they were originally arrested for going into the Indian waters with firearms, procuring diesel and not having the correct documentation.
Nick’s sister Lisa, 34, also of Ashington, said: “We never thought there was ever going to be a charge. I feel numb, it’s like it’s not real. I don’t think it’s hit home.
“We haven’t tried to deal with it, we never thought it would happen. We haven’t come to terms with it or accepted it.
“They were so close to getting out and then they deal this card, it’s horrific. I can’t imagine what the lads are going through.”
Last week The Journal reported how Mr Dunn, a former paratrooper, was preparing to be freed from prison before a petition by prosecutors against the decision to grant bail was given.
Mr Dunn was working on-board the MV Seaman Guard Ohio to protect commercial shipping in the Indian Ocean.
He, along with five other former British Army soldiers, were arrested while working for AdvanFort – a US-owned maritime security company.
A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that six British Nationals were arrested in October. We are providing consular assistance and we are in touch with local authorities.”
Ms Dunn said: “Although this is happening it’s like we’re not really living it. It’s like I’m living another life at the minute.
“Three months have passed and it still feels surreal. The last time we spoke to Nick was when he was arrested.
“He was put in prison in October and that has been his life since.”
Lisa and Nick’s parents Margaret, 59, and Jim, 66, are yet to speak to Nick.
The crew, which includes five other British ex-soldiers, have been held since October 18.
When the news first broke, a petition was launched calling on Foreign Secretary William Hague to act, which was signed by more than 40,000 people.