19-year-old charged over killing in Stanley

A TEENAGER has been charged with murdering his stepfather. Steve McIntyre, 37, was stabbed to death during the early hours of Saturday following an alleged row at his home in Austen Place, South Stanley, County Durham.

Austen Place, South Stanley
Austen Place, South Stanley

A TEENAGER has been charged with murdering his stepfather. Steve McIntyre, 37, was stabbed to death during the early hours of Saturday following an alleged row at his home in Austen Place, South Stanley, County Durham.

Three people were initially arrested and questioned, but yesterday Christopher Hodgson, 19, was charged with murder.

Police officers say Mr McIntyre was found in a pool of blood by paramedics who were called by someone at the house. A post mortem revealed he died of stab wounds to the chest.

Yesterday, the terraced house, which is on a pedestrianised street, remained cordoned off with police tape while uniformed officers stood guard.

A small plastic tent covered the spot where Steve had collapsed outside his door and a single bouquet of flowers had been laid nearby.

A Durham Police spokesman said: “Detectives investigating the death of a man from Stanley have now charged his stepson with murder.

“Steven McIntyre, aged 37, died from stab wounds after an incident at his home on Austen Place early on Saturday morning. Three people from the house were arrested in connection with this death. Police have charged his 19-year-old stepson Christopher Hodgson with Mr McIntyre’s murder. He will go before magistrates on Monday morning. The other two people arrested have been released with no further action.”

Neighbours have also told of their shock at finding a murder-scene near their homes.

Lee Carr, 26, came home after a night out and saw a hive of police activity. It brought memories flooding back of when his mother, Susan, was murdered hours after her birthday by her boyfriend, Peter Killeen, in 2004, only streets away.

Lee said: “I try not to think about it what happened to my mam but when I saw the police cars it brought things back. I can’t believe that another murder has taken place around here. I knew Steve and it’s a shock to hear what happened.”

Grandmother Jean Daglish, 61, of nearby Carvell Place, said: “My son lives two doors away from the family and they know them. He called me at about 9am and said the street was cordoned off and he couldn’t get out. He later rang me to say it was Steve and then we heard he had been killed.

“It is very sad and a shame that this is the sort of world we live in. He had a daughter and there are two other kids in the house. It’s terrible news.”

Ross Ridley, 19, also of Carvell Place, said: “It was really quiet at that time in the morning and you could hear a pin drop but I didn’t hear any screams or shouting or anything like that.”

Mother-of-three Jean Richardson, 45, of Cookson Place, said: “You don’t expect for this to happen on your doorstep. The place has been swarming with police and a forensic team has been searching the area. I surmise they are looking for the weapon.”

 

Journalists

Dan Warburton
Chief News Reporter
David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Adrian Pearson
Regional Affairs Correspondent
Angela Upex
Head of Business
Mark Douglas
Chief Sports Writer
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer