A RED Kites preservation group is pleading with the public to help save the rare birds of prey after confirmation that a third Kite has been poisoned to death.
A post-mortem on the bird, which was given the adoptive name of Ziggy, showed that it had swallowed carbuforan, an illegal substance.
It is also suspected that Ziggy’s mate died from being poisoned, and that their chick, which was nesting in woodland near Stocksfield, starved to death.
The Friends of Red Kites group is now laying plans to spread the preservation gospel across Tynedale.
Plans will be finalised at a meeting on Monday, but June Atkinson of FoRK said they were planning to take a special bus across Tynedale carrying messages and advice for the public.