Fifth man arrested in connection with deaths of two Newcastle University students

A 55-year-old man has been arrested after Neil Dalton and Aidan Brunger killed in Borneo

L-R Neil Dalton and Aidan Brunger
L-R Neil Dalton and Aidan Brunger

A fifth man has been arrested in connection with the murders of two Newcastle University students in Borneo.

Neil Dalton and Aidan Brunger, both 22, were on placement in a hospital in Kuching and had been out in the Malyasian part of the island when they were attacked and killed last week.

Four men were originally arrested over the murder, and have admitted the crime, police have said, but now it has emerged that a fifth man has also been arrested.

The 55-year-old man is suspected of helping the killers dispose of clothes and the murder weapon in the aftermath of the attack.

The two Newcastle University medical students died after an attacker jumped out of a car and stabbed them both to death following a bar row.

The fifth suspect, who is unemployed, was picked up during a raid on his house at Synergy Square in Matang, just outside Kuching, following the interrogation of four suspects.

Deputy Police Commissioner Datuk Dr Chai Khin Chung said: “He was arrested following the interviews.

“He was not in the car on the night of the killings, but is suspected of helping the other four suspects dispose of evidence after the fatal stabbings.”

The man has been remanded in custody until Friday.

The investigation of the case has now been completed and the files submitted to state prosecutors.

The case is being investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder, which in Borneo can carry the sentence of death by hanging.

Flowers and tributes are laid were the two victims, Neil Dalton and Aidan Brunger died
Flowers and tributes are laid were the two victims, Neil Dalton and Aidan Brunger, died

Following the tragedy, the parents and brother of Mr Dalton, of Belper in Derbyshire, have paid tribute to the “thoughtful and witty young man”.

In a statement released through police, Jan and Phil Dalton said: “We are just a normal family and we cannot believe what has happened. Neil was a caring, thoughtful and witty young man, who never thought twice about helping others.

“He achieved so much and made so many friends in such a short time. We are so very proud of him.

“Neil was a hard worker and very academic. He kept himself fit and was very sporty; involving himself in many football and cricket teams over the years. Neil enjoyed cycling and running and was always up for a challenge.”

Neil’s brother Glen said: “Neil was a best friend to many.

“This is evident from the number of his friends who have contacted me and referred to him as this and have passed on their happy memories that they shared with him. He will be sadly missed by so many.”

The attack happened in the Jalan Padungan area of Kuching in Sarawak province.

Mr Dalton and Mr Brunger, from Kent, were said to have got into an argument with the men on the table next to them in the bar and after leaving on foot, they were followed by car and then attacked from behind.

Deputy police commissioner Chai Khin Chung said last week: “After a prolonged argument they left the bar on foot and were followed in a car. They came from behind and stabbed them.

“The four people, who are local men, will be charged with murder.”

A cafe owner who tried to help the two described the scene of their killings as one he will “never forget”.

Avinash Ran said he saw one of the alleged killers calmly walk away after the incident, the Mirror reported.

He told the newspaper: “He looked right into my eyes when he saw me and slowly walked around the side of the car and got inside the passenger seat.”


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer