Grade II Listed Plummer House, in Newcastle, most recently occupied by Chapman’s Furniture, has been sold by BNP Paribas Real Estate on the instructions of LaSalle Investment Management.
Plummer House, on Market Street, Newcastle, has been sold to Fusion Residential, a joint venture between Henry Homes Limited and Village Homes (Southern) LLP.
The building will be redeveloped to provide a 248-room student accommodation scheme.
In the early years of the last century, the 1910 building was famously known for housing Tilley’s, which held tea dances in the ballroom.
The features of the Listed building will be retained, along with the dance floor and some of the upper floor areas.
The redevelopment will feature mezzanine bed decks to retain and utilise the high ceiling heights of these historic rooms.
The rear extension to the building, added in 1936, will be demolished with the construction of a seven-storey replacement.
The scheme will also include new ground floor shops fronting Market Street and landscaped courtyards, which will improve the setting of the adjacent listed Plummer Tower.
Aidan Baker, director, Newcastle office agency at BNP Paribas Real Estate, commented: “The office accommodation at Plummer House has been vacant for some time and the decision to convert Plummer House into student accommodation and bring the building back into use is extremely positive for the city centre.
“Located at the junction of Market Street, John Dobson Street and Carliol Street means the building is only a short walk from the main retailing areas of Eldon Square and Northumberland Street, as well as being very close to Northumbria University’s campus.”