Apprentice target is reached five weeks early

THE Gazette’s campaign to find places for 500 apprentices has broken its target again - with five weeks still to go.

THE Gazette’s campaign to find places for 500 apprentices has broken its target again - with five weeks still to go.

The 500 in 100 campaign, in association with the National Apprenticeship Service (NAS), has so far found places for 589 apprentices, after breaking its previous target of 100 apprentices in under three weeks.

John Wayman, regional director of the NAS, said: “We have been genuinely overwhelmed by the positive response to the campaign from North-east employers.

“To have surpassed our aspirational 500 apprenticeships target is truly exceptional and well beyond our expectations.

“I would like to sincerely thank all of the North-east’s businesses who have helped to make the campaign such a huge success to date.”

Patricia Wilkinson, director of training and skills development at NECC, said: “This is an absolutely fantastic achievement. The revised target of 500 has been smashed and at this rate it looks as though the region could be doubling this before the campaign finishes.”

The milestone comes as Chancellor George Osborne announced a £180m package in his Budget to fund an extra 40,000 young apprentices and 10,000 advanced level and higher apprentices.

Our campaign was launched in January with our sister paper The Journal and runs until Friday, April 29.

If you are an employer and you would like to take part in the campaign or would like further information, call the National Apprenticeship Service on 08000 150 600 or visit www.apprenticeships.org.uk

You can also read more about our campaign on our website at www.nebusiness.co.uk/ apprenticeships

 

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer