Seaton Delaval is a village in Northumberland. It is the largest of five villages in Seaton Valley and the site of Seaton Delaval Hall, completed by Sir John Vanbrugh in 1727. 'Seaton' means 'sea town', referring to the village's nearness to the North Sea. The land was once held by the de la Val family, who took their name from Le Val in Normandy.
Brian was appointed Editor of The Journal in December 2003, joining from Trinity Mirror's Liverpool base where he was Editorial Development Manager for the company's regional titles. He has also held senior positions at the Daily Record and the Evening Express, Aberdeen, as well as being a former Editor of the Lincolnshire Echo.